Join our team
As part of the Public Relations team, you share our passion for:
- Working in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Delivering exceptional programs and communications that inform, engage and inspire
- Leveraging each other’s unique talents to achieve our collective goals
- Embracing a culture of continuous improvement
We are a team that strives for excellence in everything we do. Through our communications, events and programs, we are demonstrating to customers, shareholders and our communities how TELUS is creating a stronger and more caring world by enabling remarkable human, social and business outcomes. We believe wholeheartedly that we are all stronger together, and this is foundational to our promise to make the future a little friendlier for everyone.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As the Communications Manager in our Vancouver office you will demonstrate success in both strategy development and end-to-end tactical execution. You have experience working proactively and reactively in Canada’s complex and ever-changing media environment. Using a holistic approach to communications, you will leverage traditional and social media, sponsored channels and influencers to differentiate TELUS’ brand in the national market. You will also be an adept communications project manager, work well within teams, and have experience acting as a media spokesperson.
- Manage proactive media campaigns, end-to-end, in order to increase TELUS’ brand awareness across Canada (with a focus on British Columbia) by leveraging earned and paid media channels, social media and influencers
- Write clear and concise media and communications plans, engaging press releases and messaging that effectively tell TELUS’ story to a diverse external audience
- Be responsible for the B.C. element of national campaigns such as device launches, community investment initiatives, major sponsorships and corporate initiatives
- Quickly respond to media requests, including sourcing data, drafting statements, and seeking swift approval to meet deadlines
- Actively seek out and build authentic, long-term relationships with a variety of social media influencers and content creators, and work with them to build content that represents their unique voice and fits with TELUS’ strategic initiatives
- Execute best practice project management in the context of cross-functional teams, including external agencies, this will require both a keen attention to detail and a clear understanding of the big picture, proactive and effective communications across multiple teams, and adept management of often-conflicting interests
- Provide strategic communications counsel and support to executives and subject matter experts as required
- Collaborate closely and on a day-to-day basis with other communications, operational and support teams across TELUS
- You have a minimum of 5 years of communications experience
- You have an understanding of the evolving media landscape and experience across earned, owned, paid and influencer media
- You’re part strategist and part project manager who is as adept at conceptualizing plans as you are at end-to-end tactical execution
- You have a way with words and are comfortable speaking with media as well as senior leaders
- You are calm, cool and collected in times of crisis and have a keen interest in consumer relations
- You’re comfortable working in both traditional and social media environments
- You have excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills: You love working productively with external agencies and reporters just as much as you thrive on building strong working relationships with your teammates
- You’re a self-starter and take pride in being hyper-organized
- You’re a sociable and collaborative team player who wants to be part of innovative, passionate and diverse team that manages the reputation for one of Canada’s most admired brands – and has fun while doing it!
- You have previously worked at an agency and/or have experience operating in a large corporate environment
- Experience in the telecom and/or consumer technology industry
- Experience working with social media and influencers
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent post-secondary education
- Fluency in both English and French
This is an intermediate-level single-contributor role
Please note: This is a mobile role – you will work in the office for the first 3 to 6 months. Once you are comfortable in the position, you can choose to work from home with the expectation that you are in the office at least two days a week.