|Position Title||Communications Officer|
|Location||New Westminster Campus|
|Grade or Pay Level||S – Pay Level 14|
|Salary Range||$46,615/year (with increments to a max of $52,398/year)|
|Position Type||Support Staff – Regular|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Day of the Week||Mondays to Fridays|
|Shift||8:30 am to 4:30 pm|
|Work Arrangements||This regular full-time (35 hours per week) position is available starting May 27, 2019. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Occasional work arrangements at our Coquitlam Campus and Anvil Office Tower will be required, as will occasional evening and/or weekend work.
|What Douglas Offers||DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.|
|The Role||Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications, the Communications Officer is responsible for the overall creation, management, implementation and supervision of communication activities in the Centre for Educational and Information Technology (CEIT) or IT Services area in collaboration with campus partners. The position coordinates internal communications to engage students and contribute to Douglas College’s vibrant reputation and its leadership position within British Columbia post-secondary institutions. The Officer assists with the development of annual, long-term, or project-based communications plans that align with independent unit goals, and supports the Douglas College Strategic Plan|
|Responsibilities||1. Administers strategic communications
a. Creates and administers strategic communication plans for specified area of the College.
b. Leads all communications related activities in specified area of the College.
c. Manages implementation of department-based and project-based communication plans.
d. Collaborates with Manager, Communications and campus colleagues on college-wide communication projects to define project communication objectives; identify stakeholders, strategies, tactics and timelines; and evaluation.
e. Actively seeks partnerships and develops relationships with other campus areas and groups to identify and leverage opportunities for collaborative communication that supports Douglas College’s reputation.
f. Prepares communication analysis reports from a variety of sources (e.g. social media analytics, surveys, Google analytics) to determine the effectiveness of communication plans and makes recommendations for future improvements.
2. Creates dynamic content
3. Monitors, recommends and communicates on appropriate tools
4. Coordinates media relations activities
5. Supervisory duties
6. Performs other duties
|To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need||1. Completion of a two-year diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a relevant field such as journalism, communications, marketing; or commensurate experience (degree preferred).
2. Three years’ experience working in the communications field including writing for audience and channel, communications plan development, traditional and online media relations and project coordination.
3. Experience in conceptualizing, planning and developing a wide variety of communications projects and content features, including interactive elements.
4. Three years’ experience working with student groups at the post-secondary level. Experience hiring, supervising/leading, developing and facilitating student groups considered an asset.
5. Ability to nurture and develop student leadership potential and create a successful student-centred environment.
6. Demonstrated ability to contribute in defining and refining a campus culture that provides opportunities for involvement, personal and professional growth for individuals and for student-driven organizations.
7. Proven, solid grasp of communication and marketing fundamentals and tactics.
8. Demonstrated high proficiency in copywriting for print and electronic, including excellent control of style variations for different media formats, and tone for different audiences.
9. Proficient editing and proofreading skills, including excellent command of English grammar and punctuation, and a commitment to clear and accurate presentation of material.
10. Proven experience in social media management across multiple platforms including content plan development, content generation and distribution; reputation management; client relationship management; and use of social media management tools.
11. Technological savvy – up-to-date with digital trends and developments, social media analytics, social listening and networking, and mobile marketing.
12. Working knowledge of digital photography: ability to take publication-quality photographs in a variety of settings with a digital SLR.
13. Understanding of office procedures as well as standard office software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
14. Self-motivated, self-directed and assertive; ability to work under minimal supervision.
15. Willingness and ability to investigate and identify stories and news from across the College.
16. Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information.
17. Demonstrated ability to initiate collaboration and work effectively as an integral member of a communications team; adaptable to change with a strong customer service focus.
18. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
|Link to Full Position Profile|
|Diversity Statement||Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicant||Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required qualifications.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.
All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
|Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting||http://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/4379|
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How many years experience do you have working directly in a communications position?
- Less than one year
- 1-3 years
- 4-5 years
- More than five years
- * Are you a current Douglas College employee?
- * If you are a current Douglas College employee, please enter your employee number.(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you currently have a valid Canadian work permit?
- Not Applicable
- * If you have a valid Canadian work permit, please indicate expiry date and the type of work permit you hold. (Type-in N/A if not applicable).(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Douglas College Careers Site – Internal Posting
- Douglas College Careers Site – External Posting
- Personal Referral
- Agency Referral
- Professional Association Website
- Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICAN)
- Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT)
- Douglas College CareerHUB
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- References with Contact Information