Date: Jul 16, 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Company: British Columbia Lottery Corporation
Why you should work with us
At BCLC, we believe that our people are what makes us amazing so we are committed to our people. We have a culture of fun and hard work – it’s not unusual to see teams eating together at lunch in the cafeteria or heading outside for a walking meeting. We continue to have a highly engaged team and we’ve been named one of BC’s Top 50 Employers for over 10 years. Here are a few reasons why it’s great to be part of the team:
- Flexible work hours
- Robust wellness program with free onsite yoga, bootcamp, running club and more
- Competitive compensation
- Company paid Flexible Health and Dental plan for you and your family
- Defined Benefit Pension Program
- Leadership and professional development programs
Why our Vancouver office is so awesome
Vancouver has been regularly voted one of the top cities to live in the world with one of the mildest climates of any city in Canada. It is home to our Marketing and Sales Office and features:
- A subsidized cafeteria with healthy and delicious food choices
- Free parking
- Easy access to transit, including the Sky Train
- Secure bike facilities and easy access off the Central Valley Greenway
The Communications Officer, Media and Issues Management, helps build public trust and understanding of BCLC with media, the public and government. The Communications Officer collaborates with internal and government stakeholders in order to understand and support key priorities, projects and emerging issues. This role also researches and develops responses to media and government requests in a timely and transparent manner and seeks opportunities for proactive communication. The role requires the capacity for sound judgment, ability to navigate challenging situations and provide solutions to complex and sensitive issues.
- Develops and helps execute proactive communications strategies and materials to support business strategy, raise awareness of BCLC’s products and build public trust and understanding of the corporation and the industry.
- Proactively builds, develops, maintains and manages strong working relationships throughout the organization and champions the role of the department in building trust and understanding with government and media.
- Consults with BCLC business units to develop an understanding of key initiatives and issues and develops communications strategies and materials to support those initiatives.
- Develops briefing notes, and other documents that support government and regulatory understanding of our business and that assist in obtaining approvals for business initiatives.
- Develops responses to requests for information from media and Government.
- Assists in issues management by researching emerging issues, reviewing Freedom of Information Requests and other external facing documents and activities.
- Fosters trust and credibility through ongoing, clear, accurate, open, timely and two-way communication with internal and external audiences.
- Supports the team in the execution of proactive media activities such as news conferences, winner celebrations, news releases and public events.
- Act as Media Spokesperson, as required
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education and Experience
- A degree or diploma in a communications, journalism and/or public relations discipline;
- 3 to 5 years current, related experience in which strategic thinking was a critical element;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Experience in issues management, media relations, public relations agency and/or government relations;
- Sound knowledge of principles, concepts, practices and techniques in the areas of strategic government communications, issues management and media relations;
- Demonstrated experience in the strategic development and implementation of communication plans and materials;
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and with close attention to detail;
- Exceptional project management, time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong computer skills – MS office suite;
- General business acumen;
- Understanding of B.C. gaming industry and its regulatory requirements is an asset.
- Must be available to travel
- Must be able to work flexible hours
Please Note: This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Please Note: Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.