Assists the Events and Marketing Coordinator in the successful production of major events and conferences held at the SFU Surrey Campus. Under the direction of the Events and Marketing Coordinator, and in coordination with SFU Surrey’s service departments, the Assistant ensures that services are rendered according to rental agreement specifications and university policies and procedures. Supports events by preparing campus space, equipment and supplies for client occupation; greeting clients on-site; providing basic orientation to the facility; and assisting with last-minute changes and additions to on-site needs. Post-event, the Assistant returns rooms and equipment to their usual settings and storage areas. Also provides events-related clerical support for the Events and Marketing Coordinator and service department staff. Performs other duties and responsibilities consistent with the job description and classification on request.
- High school graduation and general courses or training of moderate duration (one semester or equivalent) in word processing, database, spreadsheet applications and computing technology.
- 1 year of experience or an equivalent combination of formal education, certificate/program of study ad experience is acceptable.
- 45 wpm keyboarding skill with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use standard office, e-mail, and electronic calendar applications (e.g., MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Filemaker, Outlook, SFU Connect) at an intermediate level.
- Ability to set up and demonstrate the use of office, computer and audio-visual equipment (e.g., VOIP conference phone, laptops, printers, DVD/VCR players, data projectors).
- Ability to use a two-way radio to communicate information.
- Ability to understand and interpret spatial drawings.
- Ability to perform arithmetic calculations with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions precisely.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment and initiative.
- Good knowledge of internet browsers (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari).
- Good knowledge of standard office practices, methods and equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to move packages, cartons/boxes and furniture weighing up to 20 kg.
- Ability to stand or walk for sustained periods of time (e.g. up to 2 hours).
- Ability to work flexible and variable hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
Please note: This is a part-time position working variable hours bi-weekly. There are 10 to 12 positions available. Priority will be given to qualified registered SFU students who must submit a Summer 2019 class schedule with their cover letter and resume.
Assignment Start Date: May 13, 2019
Assignment End Date: August 2, 2019