LEAD WRITER – VANCOUVER
Type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Game Design
Job Code: 5121-252
Reports To: Game Design Director
Start Date: ASAP
Number of Openings: 1
THE LOW DOWN
East Side Games is looking for a creative, multi-talented Lead Writer to join our team and add value to the narrative elements for our mobile games! You (yes, you!) will use your creative muscles to conceptualize narrative elements for our in-game events to create a compelling storyline for our trashy characters. You love to use your humor to support the vision of our games and appeal to our fans in our audience.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Build and manage the narrative team consisting of internal and external resources.
- Work with lead designer and/or vision holder to improve the player’s experience through story.
- Define and oversee the narrative responsibilities, workflows and best practices on multiple titles simultaneously.
- Manage narrative and story elements from initial conception to implementation and tuning.
- Conduct in-game reviews of the story elements to manage how the vision evolves during execution.
- Create a studio standard for documenting and tracking story and narrative across all our games.
- Stay abreast of competitive idle and or narrative forward games to ensure we stay ahead of the competition.
- Help define the ideal toolset needed to create narrative-driven games.
- Play our games and know our products to effectively establish the tone for our players.
*** Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Post-secondary degree in English, creative writing, theatre, film or related field.
- Minimum of 5+ years writing experience in the video game industry.
- Extensive knowledge of interactive storytelling, plot, and structure and how it relates to and can influence, the gameplay experience.
- Experience managing other writers or a small team of writers/narrative designers.
- Ability to provide mentorship and professional feedback to reports.
- Ability to capture the tone and distinct character voices from intellectual properties.
- Strong ability to communicate ideas with internal teams and external partners through verbal, written and visual means.