The PR and Events Manager plays an essential role in growing talent in our business through collaboration and sharing best practices with the PR and Events teams. You know how to be curious about their opportunities and how to be real with feedback and support.
We’re looking for someone with a great attitude, who brings creativity and fresh perspective to the Lush Life. If you believe in long candlelit baths, massage, filling the house with fragrance AND you’re a passionate publicist and event marketer, we want you.
As a growing business, Lush needs people that can adapt and evolve to the needs of our business, analyse and respond to your learner’s needs. Our Lush staff live with purpose, finding their personal value connection with the values of our business, bringing their work and life paths into one holistic journey. #mylushlife
Reporting to the Brand Director, the PR & Events Manager will be accountable for the growth, development and management of Lush’s retail and brand events to support the overall organizational strategy. You will engage with and grow the Lush community through your teams creative and memorable activations and press coverage across North America. You’ll bring your strategic thinking, team spirit and can-do attitude to undertaking the following responsibilities.
Core PR Responsibilities:
- Developing and coordinating media and pitching plans to support Lush’s business goals. This includes stories on brand, retail, digital, ethics and products across traditional and digital media platforms.
- Directing the development of media briefing materials to support business strategies and senior leaders for media interviews and external events.
- Working closely with other departments including Charity Pot, Sustainability, Ethical Buying, Creative, Retail and Brand team to create campaign activations that garner press attention.
- Supporting ethical campaign ideation, strategy and execution for PR & Events team.
- Supporting and executing the Lush crisis communication strategy.
- Composing press material and collateral as needed.
- Acting as quality control to review materials produced by team members for consistency, impact, and accuracy.
- Monitoring the industry landscape and evaluating Lush’s messaging against the major voices to determine best approach.
- Monthly management of analytics platforms and coordinating results with Social Media Team.
- Developing media monitoring reports and media analysis.
Core Event Responsibilities:
- Overseeing the direction and management of all external events, ensuring deliverables are on brief, on budget, hit deadlines and are to the highest quality. External events include in-shop events and parties, brand activations, grand opening events, PR launches etc.
- Negotiating rates with key suppliers to improve event margins.
- Working directly with the Senior Marketing Program Manager and Resource Planning Manager on new project proposals, resource requirements and event brand deliverables.
- Acting as the best possible representation of the brand when engaging with everyone from vendors, to staff and guests attending the events.
- Reporting on all activations including ROI, audience insights, overall performance, learnings and opportunities.
Core Leadership Responsibilities:
- Mentoring a team of publicists and event planners providing support, guidance and growth opportunities, including but not limited to one to ones, annual development conversations, regular feedback and recognition.
- Working closely with the Social Media Team Manager to create cohesion, collaboration and enhanced results across digital platforms.
- Leading weekly team meetings bringing fresh ideas around driving traffic, increasing customer engagement and raising brand profile.
- Providing clarity around project ownership, work back dates and resource allocation across the team.
- Maintaining and managing the team’s annual budget and team expense management.
- Generating and disseminating PR and Events reports on a monthly basis and/or campaign/event basis.
- Communicating regularly with your team to keep them updated on strategic/tactical department updates and developments.
- Proactively training team skills, knowledge and confidence – empowering team synergy and a positive team spirit so that they feel supported.
- Overseeing the management of budgets and ROI by the team to ensure we are investing and planning strategically and staying within budget.
You bring the following QUALIFICATIONS:
- 8 years or more of experience in media relations/communications and at least 5 years of experience in event planning and execution.
- Post-secondary education in related field (communications, journalism, public relations)
- Understanding of diverse media and multiple audiences across North America.
- Experience in building out influencer programs and deep understanding of social media channels.
- Management of the development of media relations plans and pitches.
- Demonstrated ability to advise senior leaders and develop media relationships resulting in media coverage
- Exceptional written communications skills including editing, proofreading and attention to detail.
- Proven media pitching skills in delivering high quality media coverage and influencer engagement.
- A pro-active media relations professional with a creative approach and commitment to excellence.
- Strong people management skills, project management capabilities and ability to produce materials to meet deadlines.
- Ability to confidently counsel senior leaders on media relations.
- Ability to mentor and develop people to support a high-performance culture.
- A team player with a strong focus on trying new approaches and delivering results
- Understanding of social media strategy and how to effectively use it as a communication channel.
Thriving with a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our staff and committed to inclusion. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.