Writer (BC)-National News Vancouver
About the Role:
Global National is looking for a Part Time Writer to join Global’s award winning flagship national newscast. This is an entry level editorial position. Reporting to the Executive Producer,this position will be scheduled for various shifts, including regular weekends and overnights. This is a Group 2 position under the current collective agreement.
- Research, write, update, rewrite and fact-check content as necessary;
- Research/arrange interviews for news stories and shows when required; assisting with guests
- Monitor all news sources and be on top of breaking news and developing situations;
- Assist in breaking news coverage, including helping coordinate live coverage and facilitating pictures and video for all platforms;
- Write compelling, accurate news copy for all platforms, including story leads, segment leads, bumpers, promos and news ticker;
- Maintain Global News’ high production standards;
- Some video production and desktop editing;
- Newsroom duties including answering phone calls from the public and dealing appropriately with inquiries and news tips;
- Assist Global crews in the field and moving material to correspondents in the field;
- Cull social media for content, and helping to get Global National content online;
- Print scripts and operate teleprompter;
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will bring the following:
- Post-secondary degree, diploma or equivalent in Broadcast Journalism from a recognized institution;
- Strong sense of national and international news with ability to recognize, chase and help develop relevant news content;
- Solid research abilities;
- Strong news writing skills with the ability to write accurate, concise and creative copy for live newscasts;
- Ability to make quick, informed decisions and handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines;
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to act independently and work effectively in a team environment;
- Comprehensive computer knowledge, including knowledge of newsroom software and editing programs;
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology and workflows, including learning new online skills in a multi-faceted digital news operation;
- Experience and ease with social media sites and ability to write and/or produce web copy;
- Manage content through social media an asset;
- Ability to take direction well and respond quickly to the needs of a network national newscast;
- Must have strong communication and people skills.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people’s lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you’ll feel it. You’ll see it in action.
You’ll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You’ll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You’ll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day – Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique – and amazing – place to work.
Corus is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in this role, click ‘apply now’.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.